Struggling with Lyme disease

A personal blog about nightshades, grains, dairy, Lyme Disease… oh my!
Also see my listing of Nightshades

My symptoms before starting the diet

November28

Before starting to eliminate nightshades from my diet, I thought I should write down all of my symptoms and see what gets better in the end (if anything).  I’ve tried eliminating other foods over the years and some things just never got better.  So, we’ll see where we end up.

• I never, or rarely, feel full after a meal.  Even if I eat a ton of food.  I call this the “Joey Tribbiani Food Syndrome”. I’ll post about that separately later.
  • I crave foods and feel like I have a food addiction.
  • Upset stomach, especially in the mornings.
  • Occasional diarreah
  • Get dizzy / lightheaded and actually disoriented at times.  Feels like I’m going to faint, but don’t.
  • Extreme fatigue to the point of not even getting out of bed to go to work. (I go through vacation & sick days quickly)
  • Extreme fatigue in my extremeties, especially my arms.  They feel like they weigh 100 pounds each on some days.  Lifting them over my head is the worst.
  • Bladder infections (more on this in my “Misdiagnoses” post later.
  • I catch colds and get sick easily.
  • Regular ear infections as a child
  • Swelling in the knees – mostly my left knee
  • Hands occasionally feel puffy and sore, especially where my thumbs meet my wrist
  • Lower back pain
  • Withdrawing from society.  People stress me out big time. Find myself trying to be alone in a quiet room with dim lights.  My “cave”.
  • Stopped playing games like board games and card games because I can’t concentrate and remember the rules.
  • Living in an almost constant state of brain fog
  • Lost a lot of memories.  Sometimes can’t remember what I did over the weekend if someone asks me on Monday.
  • Reduced night vision
  • Light hurts my eyes.
  • Wheezy lungs when I lie on my left side or lie on my back with my head turned to the left.
  • Get up at least once to use the bathroom in the middle of the night
  • I crave salt – lots of it (turns out the salt contains dextrose. sigh.)
  • Bad headaches (back of head/base of skull, sometimes temples) from withdrawal when I slip up and eat nightshades and then try to cut them out again.  Headache will disappear when I eat nightshades again, but will come back when I try to eliminate them again.
  • Ended up with hyperthyroidism and had my thyroid radiated.  According to Michael Lebowitz, D.C.: “Alpha-solanine is stored in most organs (with a special affinity for the thyroid gland) as well as most soft tissue including skeletal muscle.

I’m starting at a weight of 181.6 and I’m only 5’2″ tall.  ugh.

7-29-2011  NEW Symptoms since the initial comments above:

• My fingers hurt from the first knuckle to the tips of my fingers, predominantly my left hand.
  • Muscle spasms in my face, left side. If you draw a triangle from the center of my nose, down to my upper lip, then over to my left cheek, then back to my nose again.  Those three spots at the points of the triangle would cramp up every so often.
  • Would have large muscle cramps every so often.  They are strange in that they ever-so-slowly would pull tighter and tighter and then slowly release.  One muscle would do so, then after that another one, and then another one after that.  Like a slow dance of musical muscles.  Muscles affected:  stomach, quadraceps, hamstring, calves, biceps, triceps.
  • Joint pain:  left hip, left ankle, left toes.  Sometimes right hip,  right knee, right foot, right shoulder, left shoulder.
  • Periods where I’m so overly sensitive to all of the activity around me that I need to go to a quiet dark place where there is no movement or sound.
  • Going through “don’t touch me!” phases where significant other touching me, even for back rub, hurts. Clothing and shoes hurt to wear.  And forget wearing a bra. Worst invention ever made!
  • Small circular rash inside elbow joints, seems to fade in and out.
  • The IC (Interstitial Cystitis) is pretty much constant now. Sex?  What’s that?  ouch
  • Periods of extreme motion sickness.
  • Periodic night sweats.
  • Speaking of periods… heavier, well, periods  :-)    Along with sporadic spotting
  • Eye jitters where it’s difficult to focus on a single spot without my eye slightly moving away and then back again.
  • Tremors in head and hands.
posted under Sticky Notes, Symptoms
6 Comments to

“My symptoms before starting the diet”

1. On June 17th, 2012 at 8:19 pm DONNAMARIE Says:

check for lyme disease

2. On July 21st, 2012 at 9:53 pm Megan Says:

Wow I have 80 percent of those exact random symptoms, I feel like Im reading a blog that I have written!
    Do you thing the symptoms were/are caused by the lyme or the nightshade allergy?
    I suspect I might have lyme disease but cant remember a specific incident where I got bit and dont want to spend a few hundred dollars for the test!

3. On February 2nd, 2013 at 7:17 pm Amber Says:

If you’re still having trouble tracking down the cause of these symptoms, try looking into MYCOTOXIN’s. See Wikipedia for details.
    I have been researching all the same symptoms for me and my sister, we’re on the paleo diet now, and it’s working for the most part. We did have problems with anemia like symptoms(BTW there are 400 types of anemia), we made a few changes and things are good for now.(BTW molasses is good for anemia).
    But one of the things I found was mycotoxin’s, they are everywhere, because fungus is everywhere. And that mycotoxin’s develop from. When food goes bad get mold/fungus and when fungus goes bad you get MYCOTOXIN’s. I hope this is helpful, and BTW love the blog! ~A~

4. On February 4th, 2013 at 11:01 am jenifer Says:

Hmm… I do have an allergy to mold. We’re in the process of trying to eliminate the mold from our basement. I’m hoping I’ll feel a bit better after it’s done, but it’s a long process. My significant other has to rip out two of the foundation walls and replace them. He’s gotten rid of the old carpet and ceiling tiles and such. Now it’s the major construction that’s left. I haven’t figured out which of the symptoms are from the TBI (tick borne illnesses) and which might be environmental. It will be interesting to see if anything gets better when the basement is fixed.

5. On May 17th, 2013 at 1:41 pm Soy Coffee Says:

What a beautiful blog!
    Some of the symptoms you list *could* be due to sensitivity to UVA light, as in fluorescent lighting, including CFL bulbs, and of course outdoor sun radiation (even on cloudy days).

I have one or two autoimmune diseases that affect my skin. My dermatologist asked me about sensitivity to light; I had just had a sunburned face from an unprotected CFL bulb. The other noticeable thing I mentioned to her was that my scalp itched, especially outdoors. I diagnosed my sun sensitivity through buying a sun-protective shirt from Coolibar ™ and a couple of sunhats from them as well. I am grateful to Coolibar ™ for the quick relief of aches and pains, and itchy scalp, and red flaring on my cheeks and chin, as well as a dry and itchy upper back. That said, I really should have started with the shirts and hats from Solumbra /Sun Precautions http://www.sunprecautions.com/home.asp. They cost more, but are more protective. For mostly indoor wear, I use a longsleeved shirt — one black and one white — and when it’s not too hot I add a pretty knit shirt over it — could be a sleeveless tank. To go out in the hallway of my apartment building, I put on a sun-protective hat. It is enough protection for me to use dark cotton pants. If you are outdoors a lot, then sun-protective pants would probably be a good idea.
    My comment is based on your introduction to the website giving your story. In it, you mention several times the need to retreat to a darkened room or indoors. First check might be to change CFL bulbs back to incandescent bulbs. They are disappearing from stores, but are still available on Amazon and probably other online vendors.
    I hope this is useful to you and/or some of your readers.
    All the best,
    Soy Coffee

6. On May 20th, 2013 at 9:45 am jenifer Says:

Hi Soy Coffee! I have all incandescent bulbs at home because I can’t stand the light of the florescent ones. It’s definitely an interesting idea about UVA light. I hadn’t even thought of that possibly being an issue. Thanks!

Email will not be published

Website example